Saturday, February 8, 2014

Night Light

Night Light

I have a night light
For my older brother said,
"My price is just right
It's so very bright
And will save you in your bed

Cause monsters are there
And they wish to have a treat
In the night they stare
Your body they'd share
If they catch you on your feet

Please, please believe me
And buy it before it's too late
Your brother Stanley
He was...family
And he met a gruesome fate."

So I stay in bed
And don't even cry at night
Monsters wont be fed
I wont be dead
Cause monsters fear my night light.

     I am probably the next Robert Frost, or who ever that big famous poet guy was 'cause these post are about as good as they come. No really, don't expect much better than this. Yes, I am really good at rhyming stuff like, "Bee" and "Tree" and not every average missionary can do that. 
     What I am getting at in this poem is the faith that we have as little kids. Shoot, I remember when my brother was little my older brother did something like this. He had him believing he was going to lose his shadow the next day. My little brother was crying he was so sad to lose his shadow. It was pretty stinking funny, but he believed just by word of mouth. Another prank my older brother did to me was I stood on a electrical box outside our house. There had this warning on it and, if I remember right, I was told if I took more than 10 steps I was going to be shocked to death. I got half way across the street and I was at about 7 steps and I, like my little brother, just started crying. I think I would have taken losing my shadow vs. getting shocked to death by a flying evil looking black storm cloud depicted in the picture, but, I believed.
     Why is it when we get older and older we demand more proof? Maybe it's cause people keep pranking us and we actually want to see if we'll lose our shadow or not? It could be a list of things, but knowing isn't faith. "Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen." (Ether 12:6) We try to share the message of the Book of Mormon to a lot of people. "Well, kid. Where are the gold plates? If y'all had them in Salt Lake City maybe I'd believe." How much historical proof is there of the bible? And how many people still believe there is no God? Isn't there proof though that He's real? 
     "I have seen the dead raised. I have seen devils rebuked and removed from people. And I speak in the gift of tongues. Why don't I hear any of this from the Mormon church?" Quoted by a guy who was being very nice and very receptive to the Mormon Missionaries. We don't talk about it because that isn't where your faith should be. Matthew 24 verses 23 and 24 talk about false Christs. "[People] shall shew great signs and wonders, [that even the most faithful] they shall deceive." If I believed in signs and wonders first, shoot I would be following Jared the Subway guy. How did he lose that much weight? Magic.Or maybe he's a prophet called of God? I'm sold. He's a prophet. "Ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Ether 12:6) If your faith is in a miracle, what happens if it gets proven wrong? That instead of Jared being a prophet, he just walked off all his fat. Then where is your faith then? Your faith shouldn't be in signs and wonders, even though that does strengthen ones faith, it should be based on the feelings of the Spirit of God. 
     Even Peter the Apostle recognized this. He walked and talked with Jesus Christ, but where did his faith come from? "Blessed art thou, [Peter]: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto the, but my Father which is in heaven." (Matt 16:17) It was by the Spirit of God that he knew Jesus truly was the Christ. So pray about it! Don't ask Jared or Google, ask God. "Become as little children." (Matt:18:3) "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Matt 7:7) "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God." (James 1:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment